Chapel on the Green History

Historic_Marker National_Historic_Registry_Plaque

The Chapel on the Green was built in 1855 and is the oldest church building in Kendall County. The restored pipe organ dates back to 1899.

As of 2016, Tha Chapel on the Green was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.

The following are links to youtube videos outlining the history of the Chapel on the Green

WSPY "Fox Valley Headline Makers" Interview 3/12/2015 (30 minutes)

This interview took place on February 12, 2015 at the WSPY broadcast center in Plano, Illinois. Chapel members Martha Price and Howard Manthei discuss the history of the 1855 church building and the programs planned for the building's 160th year.

Congregation History (8:09 minutes)

This video traces the origin and mergers of the three churches that resulted in the Yorkville Congregational Church. The building today is known as The Chapel on the Green, nfp. This segment traces the origin of the original congregation.

Architectural Design (5:30 minutes)

Built in 1855 in Bristol, Illinois (now Yorkville, Illinois), this segment details how the design of the building was chosen and information about the lead carpenter. The building (now the Chapel on the Green, nfp) currently hosts weddings and other ceremonies, along with programs and special events.

Building Improvements (8:42 minutes)

Built in 1899, the original Bristol Congregational Church (now Chapel on the Green, nfp) has undergone several major changes. While the original sanctuary is very close to the original design, historic photos and news accounts detail change made by the congregation over the years.

Pipe organ (7:03 minutes)

In 1899 the Bristol Congregational Church (now Chapel on the Green, nfp) purchased a Hinnerís pipe organ. This segment details the selection, installation, and workings of the instrument (which is still in use today).

Bristol (4:46 minutes)

Todayís Chapel on the Green, nfp was built in the then town of Bristol, Illinois in 1855. This segment details the early days of the town, itsí businesses, and the history of bridges connecting the community to Yorkville, Illinois-- on the opposite side of the Fox River.



You are visitor number to this web page.

This page was updated 11/26/2016 by KIG

Return to the Chapel on the Green Historical Society, NFP Home Page.